Universe Bios v3.3 is released. The UNIVERSE BIOS is for owners of MVS or AES hardware that want an easy way to change country region or between Arcade or Console mode on boot. Also included are other features that are not possible using the standard MVS bios. The UNIVERSE BIOS is also designed to give easy access to things like inserting coins, test mode and memory card management when using the joystick ports only. Of course the BIOS still allows standard operation too.
Universe Bios Main Features:
- The ability to quickly and easily change operation from MVS to AES. Play your favourite games as the home console version enabling all the extra gameplay options that come with some games.
- The ability to quickly and easily change country region (great for games that disable blood under USA region).
- Access to the DEBUG DIP's and DEVELOPER mode.
- Want unlimited lives or energy... Then cheat in games using the built in cheat engine which currently holds over 1570 cheats!!!
- High score saving support on AES hardware by smkdan (memory card required).
- If you are not happy with the cheats already there then you can patch directly into memory any place you like adding your own.
- Jukebox player where one can listen to game music without sound FX from gameplay over the top. Nice option if you want to create MP3's.
- A ROM CRC32 check where you can confirm a games program roms are good.
- True USA region support (correct coin display on bottom left and right of screen in the same way a true USA BIOS does.
- Arcade VS-MODE support which is known to be in the version 6 JAPAN bios. Turn this feature on via hard dip 2.
- PC-2-NEO which gives the ability to upload and download data from the system using a cable which can be easily built.
Universe Bios Other Features:
- Remapping of coin switches to select buttons and visa versa. This allows a SNK joypad pad to do everything.
- Once region and operation mode is set the BIOS will remember settings until you change them again (memory card required on AES hardware for this to work).
- Access to the standard Memory Card Utility no matter what Mode the BIOS is in (one could never access this menu with the normal MVS BIOS).
- Access to Test Mode on boot without the need of wiring the Test Mode JAMMA pins or fiddling with DIP's.
- Enhancements to the TEST MODE menu and hardware test screens.
- Console mode lockout protection removed from latest games when running on MVS hardware (bypasses the red warning screens).
- Arcade mode lockout protection removed from latest games when running on AES hardware (bypasses the red warning screens).
- Look at internal memory with the built in memory viewer. This is handy for tracking faults with slots that don't work (multislot hardware) or carts that simply won't start.
- The ability to soft reboot the system without the need of powering off and on.
Universe Bios v3.3 Changelog:
|Additions / Changes|
Added ability to display the crosshatch and color bar screens on AES hardware. Hold BCD during the unibios splash screen and choose option 1. To cycle between the crosshatch and color bar screen press 1up start.
The ingame menu patch screen now shows you the value at the patch address before and after it's patched.
The Universe bios can now detect a 16Mhz overclock. When an overclock is active it will be reported on the main unibios menu screen.
The ability to use buttons 'A' and 'B' as multislot 'game select' buttons during attract mode or on the games title page. The Universe Bios option 'Enable Cabinet Fixes' must be enabled to use this new feature. Big thanks to kuze for the help testing this.
PC2NEO (USB version only) updated to work with version 3.4 of PC2NEO firmware or later, only standard transfer mode is supported. 08bit upload and download also now supported to allow easy for memory card loading and saving.
The Universe Bios splash screen no longer draws with the older NGEV games on AES hardware.
The default in game menu color has changed (you can still change it back to the old colors).
Changed some of the internal ingame color pallettes.
Made the crosshatch screen border red to match red used in other tests.
Added small delay before reading unibios settings from the memory card (AES only).
Renamed the 'Enable 1Up Coin Move' setting to 'Enable Cabinet Fixes'. This feature works still works in the same way but has expanded functionality as explained above.
The Ironclad incorrect color brightness bug/protection will not happen when in Euro region.
The calender hardware test can no longer get stuck in an infinate loop. This was an infamous situation that happens on the original neo geo bios.
If Hiscore saving (to memory card) gets disabled on multislot hardware due to cheats or debugDIPs, it will now re-enable on game change.
Small Improvements in the memory card manager (text layouts).
Less chance of pixel glitching on ingame menu exit back to game.
Formatting a memory card on AES no longer clears any stored color settings (for ingame menu).
The boot time memory card check no longer clears any stored color settings used by the ingame menu. This test is only done if the memory card is not formatted.
The BackupRAM memory test now checks the first 0x10 bytes.
The boot time memory card check now tests the first 0x04 bytes.
Fixed long standing bug in games KOF98, BREAKREV, NEOCUP98 and RBFF2 where inserting a coin on the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen caused the 8x8 layer to corrupt or resets on multislot hardware. This happened with the original USA bios also. Big thanks to kuze for the help testing this fix.
Fixed DIP hilighting (shows if an active cheat is patching the DebugDIPs location), this was kind of broke in v3.2.
Fixed rare instance where going in and out of the DebugDIPs screen could currupt a games high score table if the game did not support DebugDIPs.
Fixed missing title screen in 'The Super Spy'.
Fixed minor color glitch on active cheat 'X' when entering cheat menu.
Fixed pixel glitches on startup just before the splash screen draws.
Fixed pixel glitches entering the ingame color changer page.
Fixed pixel glitches on the ingame color changer page.
Fixed rare glitching on in game menu memory viewer page.
Fixed rare glitching on in game menu video viewer page.
Lessened glitching in various places through test mode.
Metal Slug 2 Turbo (hack) support added for cheats and highscore saving.
Cheats / CRC Database
Added cheats for Crossed Swords 2.
Added new cheats added for Neo Bomberman (plus fixed existing).
Added cheats for hidden characters in Zintrick.
Added new cheats for Iron Clad.
Added Infinite Magic cheats to Kabuki Klash.
Added better cheats for Stakes Winner.
Added better cheats for Stakes Winner 2.
Added 'Show SP commands OSD' cheat for Samurai Shodown 4
Fixed Rage of the Dragons 'Infinate Time' cheat to work with home cart
Fixed Ninja Combat 'Max Power' cheat typo.
Fixed 3 Count Bout 'Infinite Energy' cheats to no longer be buggy.
Fixed Fatal Fury 3 'PL2 Infin Credits' cheat.
Added Crossed Swords 2 to the crc database.
Added Rage of the Dragons (home cart) to the crc database.
Added New Fight Fever version to the crc database.
Added Metal Slug 2 turbo (hack) to the crc database.
Universe Bios 3.2 is now free